Friday, January 20, 2012

Brazilian Butt Workout

Girl doing squat with kick-back

A great workout for home or for the gym. If at the gym I use the smith machine or a straight bar like the picture above for Pile Squats. I also like to use free weight for all the exercises listed below just to really push myself. A tighter tush I do 8-10 reps at my max weight.


When I do this from home I put weights in my garage and go for a run. About a mile normally and then come back to go through the routine once. I do walking lunges down the block for 100 steps and run again for 1 more mile. I then go through the routine again two more times and end with 100 walking lunges. It's up to you how far you want to run after this but I like to just run and enjoy myself. Go as far as you want or walk it out. :)

1. Plie
Girl practicing plie
Minutes 0:00-1:00

  • Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, arms at sides, toes turned out.
  • Tuck tailbone under and contract glutes.
  • Lower body into a pliĆ© squat as low as you can go without allowing knees to creep past toes.
  • Simultaneously raise arms to shoulder height in front of body, palms down. Hold for 2 seconds, then return to starting position.
  • After 20 reps, pulse at the bottom for 20 seconds.
2. Touchdown
Minutes 1:00-2:00
  • Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed forward.
  • Squat down until knees are bent 90 degrees.
  • Squat down until knees are bent 90 degrees.

Girl squattingGirl doing reverse lunge

  • Step left leg back into a deep reverse lunge, placing right hand along outside of right thigh or touching the floor.
  • Raise left hand in front of face, palm facing out.
  • Return to starting position and repeat, alternating sides.

3. Explosive Lunge

Minutes 2:00-3:00

  • Lunge forward with left leg until knee is bent 90 degrees, directly over ankle, right knee pointing toward floor.

Girl doing lungeMidair during explosive lunge
  • Jump up, pushing off the floor with both feet. Switch legs in midair, landing with right foot forward in a lunge. Continue, alternating sides.

4. Single-Leg Squat with Towel

Minutes 3:00-4:00
Single-leg squat with towel


  • Stand with feet together, toes pointed forward, arms at sides with right foot on top of a small folded towel.




  • Shifting weight to left leg, bend left knee 45 to 90 degrees while sliding right leg and towel slowly out to the side as far as is comfortable for a count of 4.




  • Slowly draw right leg back to start for a count of 4 while straightening left leg.




  • Repeat for 30 seconds; switch sides.



  • 5. Squat with Kick-Back

    Minutes 4:00-5:00
    Girl doing squat with kick-back
    • Stand with legs shoulder-width apart, arms at sides.
    • Sit back into a squat keeping weight on heels, then lift right leg straight behind you, keeping hips pointing forward while extending arms.
    • Return to start and switch sides.
    Originally published in FITNESS magazine, September 2006. http://www.oxygenmag.com/Training/Slideshows/Great-Glutes-in-20-Minutes.aspx

    16 comments:

    1. Do I do each of these moves for the time amount given in minutes or is there a certain amount of reps I should do for each?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Via, good question... When I do the running on this day I stick with 8reps heavy. When I am not going to run I do each exercise for a minute.

        Delete
    2. For most of your exercises you run for 1 mile (I would love to do that but I have kids napping) so could I hop on the bike trainer and how long should I go for in between each move? Love your blog!
      -Kendall

      ReplyDelete
    3. who is the girl in the pic?

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yeah, I also want to know who's in the pic! shes beautiful and strong, I want to look like her!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. i am not sure but i will work on finding out. i want to post her name on my blog.

        Delete
    5. Hi everyone! Her name is Amanda Latona. She's a professional fitness competitor. She's awesome and very down-to-Earth!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Can you overwork your glutes? I want to tighten and lift my glutes but not shrink them. How many times a week should these exercises be done? Thanks so much! Love your blog!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You only over woek a muscle if u work it out on a day its sore. These can be done twice a week as long as u aren't sore.

        Delete
    7. all these work outs are great for runners. What about those of us that can not run or do high impact? What do you suggest? Also, above exercise with a towel? I don't get it and I do not see a towel in the illustration. Please advise..thank you

      ReplyDelete
    8. how many sets??

      ReplyDelete
    9. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. Safely Getting A Brazilian Butt Lift In Michigan

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. honeycomb nz

      ReplyDelete