Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fab Abs At Home

Pin It
Pinned Image

Want to rock those abs this summer? Then this exercise routine is for you!


I went for a mile run and then layed down and did this round of abs for one set. I continued a mile and repeating this ab routine every mile. I went 3 miles and did 3 sets worth of these exercises in total. Let me know how you did. I love this routine!!!

Double Reverse Crunch

Target Muscles: rectus abdominis (upper and lower portion)

Set Up: Lie faceup on a mat with your legs bent, feet flat on the floor. Place your hands lightly behind your head [A].

Action: Keeping contact between your mid-back and the mat, raise your tailbone from the floor as you direct your knees toward your chest. At the same time, lift your shoulders and upper back from the ground. Pause, then slowly return your upper and lower body to the starting position [B]. Complete 20 reps.

Scissor Kick

Target Muscles: rectus abdominis (lower portion)

Set Up: Lie faceup on a mat. Place your hands underneath your lower back or extend them along the sides of your body. Keeping your legs straight, raise them a few inches from the ground [A].

Action: Slowly cross one leg overtop of the other in a scissoring motion, keeping them lifted from the ground at all times. One motion with each leg counts as one repetition. Aim for 15 to 20 reps [B].

Weighted Crunch

Target Muscles: rectus abdominis (upper portion)

Set Up: Begin by lying faceup on a mat, with your legs bent, feet flat on the floor. Hold a dumbbell or medicine ball in your hands with arms extended above your chest [A].

Action: Slowly curl your shoulders and upper back from the mat, keeping your arms straight and pointing toward the ceiling [B]. Return slowly and carefully to the start. Do 20 reps.

Crossover Crunch with Reach

Target Muscles: rectus abdominis, internal and external obliques

Set Up: Position yourself faceup on the mat, legs bent with arms extended along your sides [A].

Action: Lift your upper back from the ground and curl to the right, extending your arms and reaching across your body toward your right foot. Hold, then return to the start and repeat on your opposite side for one rep. Repeat for 10 to 12 reps [B].

Plank

Target Muscles: transverse abdominis

Set Up: From a facedown position on the mat, lift your hips from the ground to support your body weight between your forearms and your toes, aligning your elbows beneath your shoulders.
Action: Contract your abdominals and hold for 30 seconds to one minute, keeping your back straight, your hips lifted and your body supported on your toes.

9 comments:

  1. Just did this workout again today and then went for a run at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing your workout and yesterdays workout kicked my butt. I can barely move today but it feels GREAT!!! Thank god todays workout is abs so I don't have to move my butt or upper legs a whole lot haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm prone to loathe ab workouts, but this routine was awesome. I could feel my abs working even in the first set, but the routine was fun enough to finish all three rounds without wanting to throw in the towel. ;-) I combined these exercises with the "Toned Shoulders and Abs in 30 Minutes" from Day 5 since I don't have a bench or medicine ball (I had to rearrange the days this week due to my work schedule).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't started your workout yet but I just had my second baby, I'm not fat but my stomach has a lot of extra flabby skin, will this help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will. As well as eating healthy and regular exercise with cardio

      Delete
  5. do you just do one set of each rep?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same problem as lauren, will this help in reducing the extra stomach flab"............ I do have a cross trainer as well. Please reply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same problem as lauren, pls help.........I have a cross trainer as well.

    ReplyDelete